Thursday, May 13, 2010

Playing the Edge

Yesterday evening, I decided to attend the 7pm restorative class at Bodhi Yoga. The restorative class is a much slower paced relaxing session. I had felt rather lethargic, or tamasic, all day. I was looking forward to an hour and a half of lying about on bolsters and various yoga props.


It was only about fifteen minutes into the class when I realized this was like no restorative class I had ever been to.

“Come up onto your knees,” Melanye, the instructor, spoke softly., “Push your calf muscles out to the sides, and if it's comfortable, sit down in between your ankles.” We sat down in Hero Posture which is like kneeling, only you sit on the ground in between your feet rather than on top of your feet. As I slowly lowered my sit bones to the mat, my knees ached in protest. I inhaled. I exhaled. And we stayed there...

Keeping our knees together, we slowly lowered our backs to the mat. The ache spread from my knees to my ankles, and through my thighs. I remembered a concept I had read before called “playing the edge.” To play the edge, you must reach outside of your comfort zone. Slowly, listening to your body, deepen your pose until you feel the first hints of strain. Use your breath to relax the body until you naturally pass this edge. Only once the strain has diminished, go as deep as you can into the pose. This will be uncomfortable. This will be intense. Stop before it becomes painful. Take several deep breaths here. Back off just slightly, returning to a space that feels good. After a few more breaths, return to your edge. Lather, rinse, repeat.


In Reclining Hero Pose, or Supta Virasana, I felt my first edge before I was even flat on my back. I stopped momentarily and reclined on my elbows. Here, I breathed and asked my body for permission to take it further. As I reminded myself that this is a mental exercise not a physical one, the intense sensation I felt in my thighs subsided. I knew I was safe to release entirely into the pose. I laid my back flat against the mat as I felt the opening sensation through my feet, legs, and ankles. I took several deep breaths here which enabled me to focus through the intensity. I then raised my back slightly off of the floor. When I was ready, I released my back flat on the mat again.

As I repeated this process several times, I felt powerful and entirely in control of my body. I was able to greatly expand my comfort zone in this pose, which brought confidence to other areas of my life simultaneously.

This reminds me of the importance of “playing the edge” in life as well. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Do one thing everyday that scares you.”

I hereby intend to make this my personal motto. When you frequently reach outside of your comfort zone, your edges expand. Get comfortable being outside of your comfort zone. People are like plants; if you are not growing you are dead.

Following are several ideas to bring you to your edge!

Every time an opportunity for promotion presents itself in your company, apply for the position. (Even if you feel that you are not qualified.)

*Take a new way home from work or school and stop at any location that catches your eye.
*Instead of eating hamburgers for the sixth night in a row, try Indian food. Or Peruvian food, Thai food, sushi, whatever!
*When you're an expert at something, admit it! Offer to share your skills and knowledge with people who can benefit from it.

(Photos copyright of  Chelsea K Nielsen)

No comments:

Post a Comment