Monday, August 29, 2011

Peace Love Run Yoga

As I am training for a half-marathon right now, I have been running anywhere between five and seven days a week.

I am surprised and thrilled to see how the combination of running and yoga has improved my awareness of my body. My primary dosha being vata, I have a tendency to not being grounded in my body, like a kite that is not tethered to anything.

For Yogis: Why Start Running?
The first, and maybe even most important reason is because yoga does not provide cardiovascular or aerobic training. Regular cardio workouts are important for a healthy heart. The health researchers at mypyramid.gov recommend that people engage in moderate to vigorous aerobic activity for 20-60 minutes, 5-7 days a week.

Aditionally, I find running to be a beautiful extension of my meditation practice. Often, while running, I will chant mantras in my head. The continual repetetive motion provides a wonderful opportunity for me to observe my thoughts as they go by. At other times, I will pray, give myself affirmations or list things I'm grateful for.

For Runners: Why Practice Yoga?
Overall, running greatly improves physical health, yet it is easy to get out of balance or "run yourself into the ground." Each time a runners feet hit the pavement, the runners hamstrings respond to the shock by tightening. The result of doing this hundreds and thousands of times as a regular runner can be painful. The limited flexibility not only limits range of motion, (especially as we age) it also increases risk for running injuries, such as shin splints. Thus, yoga.

Yoga is not only a wonderful way to improve flexibility, it also improves muscle strength, especially in the core and arms, which may get neglected in a focused running lifestyle.

Most importantly, yoga provides a sanctuary of peace in a world that can seem hectic. It is an opportunity to slow down, listen to your thoughts, listen to your breathing and know that you are doing something incredibly nourishing for your body and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment